6 replies to this topic

#1 carox

carox

OLD Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 5173 posts
  • LocationSouth West England

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

Hello everyone.  My name is Frances and I claim the distinction of being one of the OLDest around here.  I started having lessons at age 55 (having wanted to "have a go" since my early 20s) and five years later joined a blues covers band. 

I think of myself more of a dancer than drummer; I started tap dancing at the age of 6 and still love it.  I have fairly wide musical tastes, but my first love was and still is swing and the big dance bands of the 30s and 40s.  Although I'm relatively new to drumming (relative to my age that is) I have a lot of theatre experience - singing, dancing and choreography - which is where I developed my respect for the audience, which I believe is vital for anyone involved in any of the performing arts.

I'm still playing my first and only kit, a Yamaha YD, with an OCDP X Series snare and Sabian cymbals (Paragon and AAX - possibly not quite right for the blues, but I bought them years ago and can't afford to replace them now!).  I also have a Roland TD6.

I'm a retired (as of September 2010) solicitor (UK).

I no longer have lessons, so OLD is my main (only?) resource as I strive to improve my drumming.  I love drumming and I love OLD !
Posted Image

#2 Trevcirclestudios

Trevcirclestudios

OLD Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Locationwww.circlestudios.co.uk

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

That's pretty cool man.

The best drum room in the UK?
http://www.circlestu.../recordingdrums

#3 TBGRocks

TBGRocks

OLD Regular

• Members
  • 734 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

Hey Carox,
You can claim the distinction of being one of the OLDest around here and also rightfully claim the distinction of being one of the nicest around here too. You have always been very supportive and encouraging in all the threads I've ever seen you contribute too. You do your best to help others out and I really appreciate that and I'm sure others do too.
It's great to hear that you love OLD and I'm sure I can safely say that OLD loves you too.

Thanks for being here Frances. It's great to have you around.
Take it easy,
TBG.

#4 patch

patch

OLD Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 5016 posts
  • LocationCentral New York
  • Bands:The Posers
    Ilion Civic Community Band

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

agree with TBGRocks...  OLD is lucky to have someone like you in here

Posted Image

VOTE NOW!
and GET YOUR I VOTED BADGE!

#5 Cow Face

Cow Face

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK South.

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

What a nice read. This is probably the only forum I've belonged to where you get an insight of the management.

Your story has given me a boost Carox. Thank you for making it public.

Regards.

CF.

#6 Nate Brown

Nate Brown

OLD Big Cheese

• Administrators
  • 14109 posts
  • LocationMadison, Ohio

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:10 AM

What a nice read. This is probably the only forum I've belonged to where you get an insight of the management.

Your story has given me a boost Carox. Thank you for making it public.

Regards.

CF.

+1 to Cow Face! Very kind words! Carox is not only a mod, but she's sure to be a life-long friend of mine. I'm so glad our paths crossed.

#7 man-machine

man-machine

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado USA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

Nice little read, thank you.

As I mentioned 52 y-o (years old, not "yo" like I'm all GaNgStA)

Fabulous to make the aquaintance with y-all