• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nthomas33

nthomas33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

So, I just got this PDP double bass pedal the other day at guitar center. It was a cheap, used one, I didn't want to spend too much on it since I wanted to learn it before I shell out the cash for a nice one, but anyways, it's too heavy for my puny legs, but I am tinkering with the springs to get it to the stiffness I want, but my problem is that no matter how I set the springs, the strikers always spring waaay far back, like touching my feet, and so far I've basically took the whole thing apart and can't figure out for the life of me how to adjust that, of if you can even adjust that. So uhh, little help? heh.

Also, I practice on a Yamaha DTXplorer, because A) there's not really room for an acoustic setup at my house, and B) My mom works night shift, so she's sleeping a lot, so is there a kick pad made for double bass pedals, or like an attachment?

One last thing, any recommendations on a hi-hat clutch for when I do play on my acoustic?

Thanks for the help,
Nick

#2 Nate Brown

Nate Brown

OLD Big Cheese

• Administrators
  • 13806 posts
  • LocationMadison, Ohio

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:20 AM

Congrats on the new pedal!  Tweaking a pedal is definitely time consuming, and depending on the pedal, it may be impossible to find a setting you want.  The higher end pedals have a lot of adjustments, while the lower end pedals don't.

With that said, I'm not familiar with the pedal you have, but often there is an adjustment that allows you to move the beater forward and back so that you can control how far it will return after striking the bass.

Since you've taken yours all apart, I'm assuming it doesn't have one.  If this is the case, the only option you have is loosening the springs.  This should help with the "heavy" feeling, too.

Anyone else have any advice for this pedal?

If you figure something out, please let us know.  I'm sure this will be helpful to a lot of other people in your situation down the road.

Good topic!

#3 KBaker

KBaker

OLD Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX - S.W. Michigan
  • Bands:OneWayHome

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

I don't have any other advice. Since I don't have that pedal my only thought is loosen the nut that holds the spring in place.  Taking some tension out of it.  I had a Single pedal years ago that would snap back real hard.. I had a NASTY bruise on the top of my foot because of it.

Check out my blog. "Life on the Drum Throne"
http://kbakerdrums.wordpress.com
Twitter:@kevin_ondrums