5 replies to this topic

#1 dustinisadrummer

dustinisadrummer

OLD Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

Does anybody know where you can buy new Slingerland drums? I'm looking to get a Slingerland New Standard Studio King in champagne sparkle, pretty much my dream kit, but the slingerland site is the only place I can see it, and there is nowhere on there to buy it. Here is the link: http://www.gibson.co...s/New Standard/

Are there no Slingerland retailers that sell these kits? If I want a Slingerland kit do I have to buy used?

Thanks guy.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 MorganNatalia

MorganNatalia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:04 AM

First thing I would try is just going to your nearest drum shop and ask if they carry Slingerland, and/or ask them about prices on the kit you're looking for, and if they don't carry Slingerland (none of the stores near me do) see if they can order it for you if the price is within acceptable ranges. I don't really know jack about Slingerland (never really a company I considered when buying my drums) so I have no idea what availability is in any given area.

Have you tried Guitar Center's website, MusiciansFriend or any of the like? If used is the only way you can find what you're after, it's certainly a perfectly good way to go; check Craigslist or ebay.

A note on manufacturers' websites -- I've never been to a single drum manufacturer website that allows you to order their products online; almost all tell you to go to your nearest authorised dealer, so yeah, your local drum-monger is the best resource.

Good luck! :IronCobra:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"Hold me, I'm a fermata"

#3 KBaker

KBaker

OLD Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1381 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX - S.W. Michigan
  • Bands:OneWayHome

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

Musicians friend and Guitar Center are the same company. Just FYI. You can also check out interstatemusic.com I buy my drum heads through them. They have a better selection for me than GC does.

Check out my blog. "Life on the Drum Throne"
http://kbakerdrums.wordpress.com
Twitter:@kevin_ondrums

#4 MorganNatalia

MorganNatalia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:35 AM

Musicians friend and Guitar Center are the same company. Just FYI. You can also check out interstatemusic.com I buy my drum heads through them. They have a better selection for me than GC does.

Thanks for the heads-up Kevron. I don't personally like either GC or MF when it comes to online shopping...in fact, when it comes to instruments, I really don't like online shopping, period. I just use it as a price point. <_<
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"Hold me, I'm a fermata"

#5 Guest_DeepDrummer_*

Guest_DeepDrummer_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Unfortunately manufacturers have to allow their dealer networks sell the product or the would lose the dealer network. Case in point the dealers for sewing machines (My wife is into it big time). Car parts is no different really. 100% markups are not uncommon. When we bought the last sewing machine for my wife ($10,000) the dealer forgot to remove her own invoice and the packing slip from the box. They called asking that we return the packing slip. The price on the dealer invoice was under $5000.00, we returned the packing slip and the invoice. There is no other way to buy it. But since she is the only dealer around here, there is nothing we could do other than boycott her store. Now my wife can make a quilt in under two weeks if she needs to (for birthdays and such)and can easily use $600.00 in materials alone. By not giving her a decent price she will over our lifetime cut her self out of far more than that in profit on material and supplies. We bought another kiind of machine a while ago and she dropped a cutting blade through the bobbin hole so we went back and the guy there took it all apart right in front of us and fixed it for free. Obviously we will be giving them virtually all our quilt supplies monies form now on. Now that is a family business that has been around for 40 years. In smaller businesses, word of mouth can make you or break you so they *usually* give you a much better price. The entire system is designed to make a precious few rich and the rest of us poor. It's pathetic but it's not going to change any time soon. We are at their mercy but just keep in mind there is room for dealers to move on absolutely everything. The Manufacturers may even limit that though so as not to take away from the ability of the entire dealer network to get exposed and embarrassed for robbing us. If you think they are asking a bit much start walking toward the door. The words "darn and I really wanted that. Maybe somewhere else can treat me a bit better" and start walking. They WILL stop you and make you a better offer. I have had them actually run out to the parking lot and knock $500 of a $1500 item. They knocked $1300 off a tv I bought a few years ago. It was a floor model and the salesman could only go to $300. I said nah , I'm not going to pay that and started fror the door. He caught up to me and said "I can't go over 300 but the Manager can." I said "get the Manager then." The manager was so stunningly beautiful, I would have bought anything from her and (since I am such a sucker for a woman anyway). Withought even batting one of her incredibally beautiful eyes, she offered it to me for $1300 less. There is room to move on most big ticket items as long as they are not part of a huge store chain and even they can move a bit. SO yeah, we have to deal with the dealers but knowing that 100% markup is generally close to the norm, keep that in mind. The rich get richer eh? On lad once told me that when buying a car all you need to do is offer then 10% less on the vehicle and 10% less on the options. I relayed that to my sister who was buying a %50,000 SUV. She called me up and said. Yeah I offered them 10% less and they didn't even have to go ask the Manager for permission. She was quite pleased. I'll have to teach her to ask for 20 and settle on 10 only if you must. Profit margins are huge in this day and age. Buying stuff online takes away that ability to bargain. Sure it LOOKS a bit cheaper but if you use the online price and knock 10% off in your offer in the store, you'll probably get it. You also get the benefit of haviing a place to return your big ticket item. Musical instruments are no different. I have bought guitars and have gotten 50% off the sticker price on the spot. I don't even dicker. Here's what I'll pay. If you don't want my money, someone else will. If you could buy straight from the manufacturer, there would be no dealers. Make sense? Ok I'll shut up now.

#6 machinegunbassdrums

machinegunbassdrums

rumperschnitzel schwanger banger

• VIP Members
  • 7678 posts
  • Locationbarrow-in-furness, cumbria, UK
  • Bands:regularly gigging, teaching, teching, depping and giving drumming and drum advice 7 days a week :)

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:23 AM

contact gibson/slingerland and ask where stocks their drums :)

Endorsements:

Amedia Cymbals
Silverfox Drumsticks
eccentric drum systems (quicktorque cams)

YELLOW_TOAD on 15-01 2009, 08:14:22
Bikinis should be small.....not drum sets.