Andy Ziker

Week 15: The Songo

8 posts in this topic

The songo is a flowing linear groove stemming from the Cuban musical tradition. It has been one of my favorite beats since Dom Moio (http://www.dommoio.com/) first taught me this basic pattern back in the late 80s.

post-45249-0-00676700-1327982016_thumb.j

You can find variations on the basic pattern in my self-published beginners book, Drumscapes (which will soon be released under a different name by Hal Leonard), and Drum Aerobics (Hal Leonard).

Here is Dan Tomlinson (http://dantomlinson.com/) jamming to a songo play-along from Drum Aerobics.

When one of my students, Eric, came in for his lesson last week, he was psyched about an upcoming recording session with his band. I thought a songo lesson might be a welcome respite. Here is that lesson.

The songo can be a great way to work on your overall coordination. In the case of the following exercise, the basic songo pattern acts as an ostinato:
• the right stick (ride cymbal in this case, but can also be bell of the ride, cowbell, etc...)
• the left stick (snare drum, but the left hand can also play a rim click or move around the toms)
• the right foot (bass drum)
The left foot (hi-hat "chicks," but also could be a bracketed woodblock set-up) provides the rhythmic variation. Play each 2-bar pattern two or four times and see if you can move onto the next without stopping.

post-45249-0-59424300-1327983311_thumb.j

It's fun to superimpose or insert rudiments overtop of a songo. Here is a 2-bar phrase using 5- and 6-stroke rolls. The 5s and 6s are shown as single stroke rolls but could also be played as doubles.

post-45249-0-44945200-1327983669_thumb.j

Here, displaced doubles and regular doubles are used over the typical songo bass pattern. Experiment by moving your right and left hands around to different sound sources.

post-45249-0-28001300-1331055770_thumb.j

As Dan Tomlinson showed in the Drum Aerobics YouTube clip, it is very effective to mix the songo groove with funk. Here is an example of that combination.

post-45249-0-41979500-1327983923_thumb.j

Hope you find the songo as enjoyable to play as I do!

NAMM 2012

Here are some pics from my NAMM experience.

post-45249-0-18101000-1327984366_thumb.j
Drum Aerobics was displayed again this year at the Hal Leonard booth. I placed the book above the others, took this photo, and then ran!

post-45249-0-39257900-1328017144_thumb.j
My invention, The Drummer Stand (model 53D) was displayed in the Manhasset booth.

post-45249-0-15667400-1327984725_thumb.j
At NAMM you get to rub elbows with famous people. I'm standing here next to a very tall Tommy Igoe. Both Tommy and Peter Erskine signed on as endorsers of The Drummer Stand.

post-45249-0-91625100-1327985001_thumb.j post-45249-0-59998700-1327985585_thumb.j
David Stanoch (author of Mastering the Tables of Time) gave a great clinic at the Alfred booth. Also, Sam Ruttenburg, Sean Kennedy, and David Stanoch.

Business Items:

• Here is a new promotional flier for Drumset for Preschoolers. Please let your favorite local music stores know about the book. Thanks!

post-45249-0-28856500-1328017299_thumb.j

• 6 YouTube video clips are now available to accompany Drumset for Preschoolers. I made these to help parents and teachers, without musical training, understand the notation in the book. Here is one of those clips. Please excuse my singing!

• The Manhasset Drummer Stand is now available at Cascio Interstate Music. It should be more and more available as the weeks go on. http://www.interstatemusic.com/841689-Manhasset-53D-Drummer-Stand-53D.aspx

• New customer review of Drum Aerobics from Modern Drummer contributor and author of Mind Matters (check out this excellent book!), Bernie Schallehn. http://www.amazon.com/review/R13KAQDGPXWTT7/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=142347788X&nodeID&tag&linkCode

Happy Drumming!

BOOKS BY ANDY ZIKER
Nobody-Sounds-Like-You-thumb.jpg DrumCraft-Thumb.jpg drumset_preschoolers3.jpgziker_drumscapes3.jpg ziker_aerobics.jpg ziker_warmups.jpg
USE CODE AZ3 FOR FREE SHIPPING (USA) BY MUSIC DISPATCH

Andy, another great update. You are amazing and exactly the kind of person we want to represent OnlineDrummer.com. A true educator.

Just bought Drum Aerobics online. Just waiting for it to arrive, should be here tomorrow. :)

Just bought Drum Aerobics online. Just waiting for it to arrive, should be here tomorrow. :)

Thank you melteddrummer! I really appreciate it. I hope you find the book to be worthwhile!

I think the book speaks for itself after reading all the reviews on it. I really like the concept of it.

Thank you melteddrummer! I really appreciate it. I hope you find the book to be worthwhile!

Aerobics arrived today. It looks really good, going to start on Monday ;D

Thanks again for ordering Drum Aerobics, Melteddrummer! If you have a chance, a customer review on amazon.com would be much appreciated.

I know I called you to compliment you in person, but the book is so well written, explained and studied. I was so amazed I had to call. You put so much work into that, it really is a gem. I treasure my copy.

An unstated goal of this site is to give drummers enough material to learn something new every day. Step outside of that comfort zone each day to challenge your limbs to something new. Drumming Aerobics achieves that.

Too often we get stuck into playing our own stuff -- whatever we come up with on our own in our minds ... but, there's so much more out there.

Challenge yourself daily to play something new. Each day you will grow and develop your own unique take on what's out there. It's all about taking things you may not have thought of yourself and making it your own.

Anyway, great work Andy. I really respect you talent!

2 people like this