Attached is a PDF I created which may help others too.
Note: Although the PDF says snare drum, I started by tapping on my computer desk.
1) Set your metronome to about 40BPM to begin with (for those without use http://www.metronomeonline.com/)
2) The accented notes will always fall on the beat from the metronome.
3) Start by tapping out the beat with your right hand. (Say 1, 2, 3, 4)
4) Once comfortable tap out the alternative 8th beat using your left hand. (Say 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and)
5) Then move on to the 8th note triplets (Say 1 Trip Let 2 Trip Let 3 Trip Let 4 Trip Let)
6) Then the 16th notes (1 ee an ah 2 ee an ah etc)
Hope this helps others.