Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jimbo

Hi all! new drummer here

11 posts in this topic

Hello there everyone!

I think I always wanted to learn to play the drums, I have always watched drummers, and always walked past drum kits wanting to have a go, but I have never had the opportunity, or courage i guess. Anyway October last year (2011) I decided it was time, time to get an electric one as not to disturb the parents, I couldn't afford to buy anything expensive to jumped on ebay, and found someone selling one close to me. It was a DD506 which is the same as the alesis DM6 with a different drum module, it was 100 quid (UK pounds), and thats about all the money I had at the time. A lot of people were saying at the time that I should get a roland or a yam, but it was a case of this, or dont learn. I have since made some modifications (just because I like to fiddle really) to bring the kit alive more dynamically.

So this was the first time I had even held drum sticks, I dont get to practice much (2 hours a week ish) as the kit is upstairs the thumping of pedals and stuff makes a racket through the floor, but every time I do, I learn something new, or find I can do something I didnt think i could. I have never taken lessons, I have been learning by feel really.

I think the great thing about drumming is that no matter how good I get in the future there is always still much to learn and perfect, but its early days yet! You can also change a song completely by putting you own feel on the beat, its not just a load of cracks pops and bangs which I think a lot of non drummers take for granted, theres soo much of yourself in feel and dynamics you can put into it, its limitless.

So anyway, you have probably got bored of reading this and gave up after the first line. I have lots to learn and hope to get lots of advice off you guys. I started a youtube channel for my own log of progress really but its great to see yourself and be self critical i think as well, you do things you dont realise you do until you see yourself. Also we learn by trial and error, and it sometimes takes more experienced people to point these out, even if it is through recordings.

Obviously I cant really help people with drumming experience yet, but there are other areas I can give some advice like recording / home studio / drum triggering type stuff as its been a bit of a hobby.

Anyway, Happy drumming everyone!

1 person likes this

Great to have you here! It sounds like you're very motivated to learn, and that is a recipe for success. I look forward to seeing you around the boards!

Welcome aboard Jimbo.

I too am here in the UK, I too have noise problems ha ha.

Have you looked into building noise preventing platforms / stages for ekits at all yet mate? (it can be done on the cheap)

Let me know if you need any links on how to do it as I'm looking into this myself at the moment.

Cheers,

Mark.

Welcome aboard Jimbo.

I too am here in the UK, I too have noise problems ha ha.

Have you looked into building noise preventing platforms / stages for ekits at all yet mate? (it can be done on the cheap)

Let me know if you need any links on how to do it as I'm looking into this myself at the moment.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks for the replies people!

I haven't thought about noise prevention platforms no, if you have any help / ideas / links on that I would be really grateful, I thought an E-Kit would be really quiet, and it is in the room, downstairs though its like thunder!

Thanks again, I appreciate your replies, I am confidence building at the moment, putting a youtube channel up was my first step in that, and it has given me a boost, the next step is to feel comfortable practicing with people in the house, daft as it sounds I just dont like playing with people in the house! especially when I make soo much racket, its a bit daft really as I live in the middle of the country and nobody to hear anyway!

Im saying Thanks a lot, but again, Thanks!

Thanks for the replies people!

I haven't thought about noise prevention platforms no, if you have any help / ideas / links on that I would be really grateful, I thought an E-Kit would be really quiet, and it is in the room, downstairs though its like thunder!

Thanks again, I appreciate your replies, I am confidence building at the moment, putting a youtube channel up was my first step in that, and it has given me a boost, the next step is to feel comfortable practicing with people in the house, daft as it sounds I just dont like playing with people in the house! especially when I make soo much racket, its a bit daft really as I live in the middle of the country and nobody to hear anyway!

Im saying Thanks a lot, but again, Thanks!

It's the same for me mate, I thought that an ekit would be quiet, and they are, but not in regards to the noise that travels through the floor boards to your downstairs / front room areas etc, the bass drum pedals and triggers / pads are still noisy due to the nature of the beast as it were.

Right first off you need a Tennis Ball beater that has been designed for ekits and to solve this very same problem of bass drum pedal noise travelling through floor boards to downstairs living areas that you and I both have, so follow this link and read this:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1560.0

Tennis Ball beaters can be brought here:

http://www.thomann.de/de/tdrum_triggerball_beater.htm

or here

http://www.drum-tec.de/drumtec-ballbeater-p-1705.html?language=en

Then you will need to build a a tennis ball stage if you can mate, follow these 2 very useful links with instuctions:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?45889-Tennis-Ball-Impact-Noise-Isolating-Platform

And also:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1540.0

Make sure that you read both of the 2 above methods of building a tennis ball stage Jimbo, as on the second link from the DMdrummer forum, the guy goes into a lot of detail for example:

With every beat you do on your drum kit, you are producing noise and an additional “shock wave”. You can keep the noise inside a room, but not the impact noise. The “shock wave” moves through the drum rack and hits the floor. Depending on your beat, the drum rack and its material, the “shock wave” is different in its strength. The bass drum pad produces very strong “shock waves”, because it’s directly on the floor.

And do not think it only concerns the next room beneath your room. The “shock wave” moves along the floor, affects the walls and transfers the “shock wave” up and down

I have built a stage that works and reduces the bass drum impact quite a lot acording to my missus (I have temporarily used foam instead of tennis balls, but only until I have the time to build the tennis ball version) and I have constructed my own tennis ball beater, and trust me, it makes a massive difference on the amount of sound that travels down through the floor boards.

Hope this helps mate,

Cheers,

Mark.

(These pictures where taken from a DMdrummer forum member who helped and gave me the advice, however I do have the same kit / set up etc.)

post-54584-0-52759400-1339589093_thumb.j

post-54584-0-22422200-1339589101_thumb.j

post-54584-0-58746100-1339589106_thumb.j

post-54584-0-19166900-1339589124_thumb.j

post-54584-0-83114600-1339589133_thumb.j

3 people like this

It's the same for me mate, I thought that an ekit would be quiet, and they are, but not in regards to the noise that travels through the floor boards to your downstairs / front room areas etc, the bass drum pedals and triggers / pads are still noisy due to the nature of the beast as it were.

Right first off you need a Tennis Ball beater that has been designed for ekits and to solve this very same problem of bass drum pedal noise travelling through floor boards to downstairs living areas that you and I both have, so follow this link and read this:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1560.0

Tennis Ball beaters can be brought here:

http://www.thomann.de/de/tdrum_triggerball_beater.htm

or here

http://www.drum-tec.de/drumtec-ballbeater-p-1705.html?language=en

Then you will need to build a a tennis ball stage if you can mate, follow these 2 very useful links with instuctions:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?45889-Tennis-Ball-Impact-Noise-Isolating-Platform

And also:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1540.0

Make sure that you read both of the 2 above methods of building a tennis ball stage Jimbo, as on the second link from the DMdrummer forum, the guy goes into a lot of detail for example:

With every beat you do on your drum kit, you are producing noise and an additional “shock wave”. You can keep the noise inside a room, but not the impact noise. The “shock wave” moves through the drum rack and hits the floor. Depending on your beat, the drum rack and its material, the “shock wave” is different in its strength. The bass drum pad produces very strong “shock waves”, because it’s directly on the floor.

And do not think it only concerns the next room beneath your room. The “shock wave” moves along the floor, affects the walls and transfers the “shock wave” up and down

I have built a stage that works and reduces the bass drum impact quite a lot acording to my missus (I have temporarily used foam instead of tennis balls, but only until I have the time to build the tennis ball version) and I have constructed my own tennis ball beater, and trust me, it makes a massive difference on the amount of sound that travels down through the floor boards.

Hope this helps mate,

Cheers,

Mark.

(These pictures where taken from a DMdrummer forum member who helped and gave me the advice, however I do have the same kit / set up etc.)

That is awesome, what a genius solution to a problem! Thanks for your time to post that, I am going to read in detail now and see what is requires, in short, its looking like 2 sheets of MDF, some tennis balls, and some carpet.

Thanks again for your time, thats looking like a weekend project

That is awesome, what a genius solution to a problem! Thanks for your time to post that, I am going to read in detail now and see what is requires, in short, its looking like 2 sheets of MDF, some tennis balls, and some carpet.

Thanks again for your time, thats looking like a weekend project

Yep, think that's it in a nutshell mate. I still need to have a pop at this myself, so if you beat me to it you'll have to let me know how you get on.

I reckon Poundland for the tennis balls (1 quid for 3), and B&Q for the MDF, not sure on the prices of MDF though, I've never brought any.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Jimbo, welcome to OLD.

I also play an e-kit at home. I just watched your Ghostbusters vid, you played it really well mate. One thing I noticed in the vid, is that your kit is set up in front of the radiator. You should maybe move it away from there if you can, because the vibrations will travel through your water pipes and you'll be able to hear it all over the house. The platform that Mark has advised you on is a really good idea, especially if your upstairs with the kit, they really do help a lot.

I'd love some advice on how to record an e-kit, I'd like to do some covers and record my progress but that's a different thread mate. I'll give you a shout some time.

See you round the boards Jimbo.

Hi Jimbo, welcome to OLD.

I also play an e-kit at home. I just watched your Ghostbusters vid, you played it really well mate. One thing I noticed in the vid, is that your kit is set up in front of the radiator. You should maybe move it away from there if you can, because the vibrations will travel through your water pipes and you'll be able to hear it all over the house. The platform that Mark has advised you on is a really good idea, especially if your upstairs with the kit, they really do help a lot.

I'd love some advice on how to record an e-kit, I'd like to do some covers and record my progress but that's a different thread mate. I'll give you a shout some time.

See you round the boards Jimbo.

Thanks! yeah I never thought about radiator and pipes actually, you could be right, it wont help will it!

Its funny actually how when you watch yourself playing you see all the odd things you do, like my grip, which is more of a camp limp wristed grip lol!! need to sort that out!

No problem telling you how I did the recording stuff, if you want to set a new thread up I will share it with everyone, but just for people looking on here I use addictive drums which is hosted in savihost on my laptop, you can see it on the background of the vids, this has a realtime record to wav file, so i then take the video, the drum wav track, and the original into premier and line them all up, thats it, quite simple really. But I will go into more detail if you create a thread.

Thanks for the message!

1 person likes this

Thanks, Jim. I've just bumped a topic I started ages ago in the 'Other Gear Room' forum.

Thanks, Jim. I've just bumped a topic I started ages ago in the 'Other Gear Room' forum.

Posted! Hope its usefull!