How Do You Stand It? – Music Stands for DrummersSteve Ley
A sheet music stand is an important piece of equipment for the working drummer and student alike. There are some great options available which suit the specific needs of drummers. The following list contains the names of the stands in the above collage, their approximate price, and some helpful links.
- Manhasset M91 Pair of Music Stand-Out Shelf Extenders $21 Amazon
- Manhasset 1650 Four Score Folder, Music Stand Accessory $10 Amazon
- Tablet stand $30
- Manhasset 53D Drummer Stand $47 Amazon
- Manhasset 1650 (without sheet music) $10 Amazon
- Standard metal 2 page shelf $25
- Manhasset 53DH Hi-Hat Music Stand $65 Amazon
- Oculus Rift – not quite there yet …
- Light weight student stand $15
- Conductor’s stand (fits 3-4 pages) $5
Each stand has a particular feature, such as: low price; light weight; ability to hold books open (with metal arms); mountable on drum hardware; or an extra wide shelf for displaying 3+ pages. #1, #2 and #5 are add-ons for a standard Manhasset stand which allows extra pages to be displayed.
For Online Drummer’s Premium Sheet Music, every effort is made to keep the page count to a minimum by using repeating structures and abbreviations where practical. However, it is not always possible to notate long or detailed pieces accurately on only 2 pages. Having a sheet music stand capable of displaying 3+ pages allows you to read straight through a piece without breaking the flow to turn pages. Another solution is to join your sheet music pages together with clear tape. This will usually let you display 3 pages on a regular stand.
For those unfamiliar with repeating structures, Nate Brown has written an excellent ebook Skip, Play, Repeat which covers all of the terms and symbols used in sheet music. It is free for all Online Drummer customers and can be downloaded from the My Downloads tab.
Having the right stand, knowledge and great sheet music will enable you to play your favorite songs with confidence!