Morning Warmups – Week 3Andy Ziker
Thank you for your interest in the Morning Warm-Ups blog. I’m having a lot of fun writing these, and I hope you’re finding it worthwhile. Feel free to share with your friends!
Here is another sample page from Daily Drum Warm-Ups.
• Monday: “Combos” are defined as a mixture of rudiments, hybrid rudiments, simple patterns, accents patterns, etc. Monday’s combo mixes 3-stroke ruffs with 7-stroke rolls (played as singles). The first 7-stroke is played as sixteenth notes, while the second one is played as sextuplets. Lead with your right and then lead with your left!
• Tuesday: There is something about accented sextuplets (played as singles) that opens up your creativity. Try applying the accents to the toms, while keeping the unaccented notes on the snare drum. Now, how about playing the accents as rim shots?
• Wednesday: When playing the “finger control” exercises, attempt to immobilize your wrists, so that the fingers do the work.
• Thursday: This week’s rudimental recipe uses flams, 5-stroke rolls, and a 13-stroke roll. Make sure to lead with your right, and then lead with your left.
• Friday: Triple strokes are an underestimated component of drumming. Besides being used quite often in jazz, Latin, and rock, getting a handle on these will improve your technique.
• Saturday: Yeah, my left hand is feeling better just looking at this warm-up!
• Sunday: I wasn’t involved in a marching band program as a youngster, so I’m busy catching up. Try this lick as part of “trading fours” in a jazz setting. I bet you’ll get a positive reaction!
Here is an additional warm-up that I drummed up just for you!
This one reminds me of something Steve Smith would do. It combines BZZzz’s, doubles, and paradiddles. So get your Steve Smith on, and try this warm-up.
Fit some warm-ups into your daily practice schedule or right before you perform. You’ll be surprised at the results!
Note: I originally wrote the material in Daily Drum Warm-Ups to be part of Drum Aerobics. If you are able to work through both books at the same time, you’ll provide yourself an optimal learning experience. See the banner ads below for a special discount offered by Music Dispatch.